The Greek Salad is my family’s absolute favorite dish in the summer. It’s very refreshing, not to mention healthy. The main secret is to have the freshest ingredients, like all Mediterranean dishes.
But I don’t stick to the traditional Greek Salad, I’m quite flexible. So if I happen to have a beautiful head of iceberg or romaine lettuce, by all means they’ll join this delicious salad!
I’m giving you some variation tips below the recipe. This wonderful Greek Salad allows you to have fun and make it your own, while still eating healthy! Enjoy!
- 1 large cucumber (peeling is optional)
- 12 cherry tomatoes OR 3 plum tomatoes
- 1 medium red onion very thinly sliced
- ½ cup crumbled or cubed feta cheese
- ½ cup of pitted Kalamata olives
- 2 whole wheat pita bread
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1½ Tbsp fresh lemon OR lime juice OR white wine vinegar
- ½ tsp Dijon mustard (optional)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- Chopped parsley to taste
- Cut the pita bread in half, separating the top from the bottom. Toast them until golden and crisp. Set aside to cool;
- Prepare the dressing by combining all the ingredients in a jar with a lid. Close the lid and shake well to blend all the ingredients. Set aside;
- Cut the cherry tomatoes in quarters, or, if using plum tomatoes, dice them in bite size pieces;
- Cut the cucumber in half lengthwise, seed it with a spoon and dice it roughly;
- Peel the onion, cut in half and slice it very thinly;
- In a salad bowl combine the cucumber, tomatoes and onions. Cut the pita bread or break it by hand in bite size pieces and add to salad;
- Pour the dressing over the salad, toss well add the feta cheese and olives and serve.
- If you don’t have or don’t like feta cheese, you may substitute it for sharp cheddar or even brie.
- If you want to eliminate the dairy, use canned garbanzo (chick peas) or lentils instead of cheese.
- If you want a richersalad, add 1 seeded and sliced bell pepper (capsicum) green, red or yellow.
- You may eliminate the pita bread from the recipe if you are on a gluten-free diet.