The Best Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe was discovered by accident. The owner of the Toll House Inn, in Whitman, Massachusetts, ran out of baking chocolate.
She decided to substitute it for Nestle semi-sweet chocolate, hoping it would melt and blend in the mixture.
What happened was even better: she ended up with little bite pieces of chocolate in her cookies, and the chocolate chip cookie was invented! This happened in 1930.
This recipe I’m sharing with you is from the early sixties. I don’t want to give my age away ;), but I’ve had it for a while.
Best Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
Author: Marjorie Marina
Serves: 30 cookies
- 1½ cups butter or margarine (3 sticks)
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1½ cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3½ cup all purpose flour
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees;
- In a bowl, cream the sugar and butter (or margarine) together until you get a light smooth cream;
- Beat the eggs with the vanilla and add to the cream;
- Sift dry ingredients together and add to the cream. Mix everything well;
- Add the chocolate chips and fold them into the mixture;
- Spoon teaspoons of the cookie mixture on a greased cookie sheet;
- Bake for 10 minutes, give or take, depending if you prefer chewy or crunchy cookies.
Leave a Reply