I’ll share with you my most delicious tomato soup recipe.
For best results, choose tomatoes that are ripe because they are juicier and sweeter. What makes this soup so delicious and unique is the fact that we caramelize the tomatoes with olive oil before we add to the rest of the soup ingredients.
This simple and easy tomato soup recipe is perfect not only for a cold winter day, but any time of the year.
It freezes well, so you may double the recipe and store half for a quick meal when you’re in a rush. Serve with grilled cheese sandwich and you have a complete meal!
- 1 lb. (500 g) Fresh tomatoes cut in quarters
- ¼ cup (60 ml) extra virgin olive oil plus
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp (14 g) brown sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 chopped carrot
- 1 chopped celery stalk
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup (240 ml) broth (chicken, meat or vegetable)
- 1 Tbsp (230 g) butter (optional)
- Fresh basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees;
- Roughly cut the tomatoes in quarters, place them on a baking tray, drizzle with ¼ olive oil, sprinkle with a little salt, pepper and brown sugar. Place in the oven to caramelize (about 15 to 20 minutes);
- Meanwhile, in a sauce pan over low heat, saute' the onions, garlic, celery and carrots in the remaining 2 Tbsp of olive oil. Cook for about 10 minutes;
- Add the roasted tomatoes, broth, and bay leaf. Simmer until vegetables are tender (another 10 to 15 minutes);
- With a hand held blender, puree the contents of the sauce pan to make the soup;
- Before serving, stir in the butter (optional, but gives a real special taste) and some fresh basil leaves;
- When serving, you may add a small dollop of sour cream or heavy cream for a richer flavor.