The Eggplant Parmesan Recipe is originally from Sicily. But in southern Italy the eggplant is fried and the dish becomes quite fattening. This version is baked, therefore way lighter.
Use skim milk and skim mozzarella, and you have a healthy, low calorie meal. Still, because of the tomato sauce and melted cheese, the dish is rich in taste and very filling.
Sometimes at our home we really don’t feel like eating meat. Or our vegetarian friends come over for dinner. This dish is the answer for a meal that is satisfying both to the eyes and the palate.
- 1 lb eggplant
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup milk (skim or whole)
- Ground black pepper to taste
- ⅓ grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup crushed salty crackers (wheat crackers or saltine or club, etc)
- 1 15oz tin tomato sauce
- Dried oregano
- 2 minced cloves of garlic
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- Slice the eggplant into slices about ¼ inch to ½ inch thick;
- In a bowl, beat the eggs with the milk and the ground pepper;
- In a separate plate, combine the crushed cracker with the Parmesan;
- Dip the slices of eggplant first in the egg mixture, then in the crumb mixture, coating both sides. Place slices in a greased baking dish (12x8);
- In a bowl, mix together the tomato sauce, garlic and oregano to taste. Pour sauce evenly in each eggplant slice;
- Cover dish in foil and bake in 350 degree oven for 40 minutes or until eggplant is tender;
- Remove foil, sprinkle eggplant with the mozzarella. Bake another 10 minutes, uncovered.
- Serve hot with a side of salad and fluffy white rice or pasta.