This easy banana bread recipe was given to me by my friend Alex, who went to pastry chef school in Brazil.
He explained to me that in Brazil this recipe is usually prepared as a cake and served sprinkled with granulated sugar and cinnamon.
But it can also be baked on a bread pan, and that’s how we prepare it at home, though we kept the sugar and cinnamon sprinkle because it makes it even more special.
Talking about special, try adding chopped nuts (pecan or walnuts) or seedless raisins or even both for an extra flair! It really deserves the name easy banana bread recipe!
- 4 bananas (the riper the sweeter the bread will be)
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup (120 ml) oil
- 1½ (345 g) cups bread crumbs
- 1 cup (230 g) sugar
- 1 Tbsp (14 g) baking powder
- In a blender place the 4 peeled bananas, the eggs and the oil. Blend well
- In a bowl, place all the dry ingredients (bread crumbs, sugar and baking powder)
- Add the content in blender to the content in bowl and mix gently until well combined
- Pour mixture in a greased 9x13 rectangular baking dish or two greased loaf pans
- Bake in a preheated 400 F (200 C) degrees oven for 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clear when inserted in the center of the bread
- After the bread is baked and is cooling, sprinkle with a mixture of 4 Tbsp of sugar and 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- If you wish to add chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans) and/or raisins in the batter, do so during step 3
- If you prefer, bake it in an 11×7 pan or dish, sprinkle with the sugar/cinnamon mix while still warm, cut it in squares and serve it on a beautiful plate, stacked as a pyramid.
- Try to use ripe bananas whenever you can, for they are sweeter, and their nutrients (potassium, iron, beta-carotene, and vitamins B and C) are better absorbed by the body.