I think a great meatloaf makes a lot of sense. An easy meatloaf recipe makes even more. The whole family loves it, especially kids. And you don’t want to spend hours on something they will gobble, devour! Go figure why they love it so much, since it’s impossible for them to even taste it, right?
Italian husbands love it too. And listen to this: the “mamma’s boys” have a way of finding a “great” wine for it as well! I always had the image of meatloaf as being a practical family meal, but it’s also a comfort food. And a good wine makes that comfort cozier!
- 1 lb. (500 g) Lean ground beef
- 1 cup (230 g) mashed potatoes
- 1 package onion soup mix
- 2 Tbsp (15 ml) yellow mustard
- 4 hard boiled eggs
- Ground pepper to taste
- Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375 F (200 C) degrees;
- In a bowl, mix the meat, potatoes, soup mix, mustard and ground pepper. Blend well;
- Place a square of plastic film on the counter. Transfer meat to the film and flatten it to cover the lined surface;
- Place the hard boiled eggs lined up in the center;
- With the help of the plastic film, roll the meat to mold the loaf around the eggs. Sort of like a jelly roll;
- Place in baking pan, drizzle with a little bit of olive oil and bake for about 35 minutes or until meatloaf is dark golden brown.
- Instead of 1 cup of mashed potatoes, you may use carrots, or ½ potatoes and ½ carrots;
- You may cover the meatloaf with foil before you place in the oven. Bake covered for 20 minutes, remove foil and finish baking it uncovered.