Ham and eggs basket is a wonderful, different and fun way to serve breakfast. It a great idea for a romantic breakfast for two. Serve with warm toast and a glass of mimosa (orange juice and champagne) or a nice freshly brewed cup of coffee.
The best part is that you can prepare all the ingredients at once so everything is ready at the same time.
If you like your eggs with a soft yolk, make sure they are fresh. You can test them by immersing them in water. If they sink they are fresh, if they float discard them.
- 4 slices cooked ham (parma ham or turkey breast)
- 4 eggs
- Enough oil to grease the muffin pan
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees;
- With a brush, grease the cups of the muffin pan;
- Place the slices of ham or turkey in the cups of the muffin pan, making little baskets. If slices are too big, you may trim them with a pair of kitchen scissors, but leave some of the slice showing over the rim;
- Break one egg at a time in a little bowl and place inside the little baskets;
- Season with salt and ground black pepper to taste;
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until eggs are done to your liking;
- Remove pan from oven and let cool for a bit. With the help of a spatula, remove the baskets from the pan and serve on a plate with a piece of rye toast.
- For a vegetarian version, you may substitute the ham for mushrooms. Just cut thin slices and place them inside the cups of the muffin pan, the follow the other steps of the recipe.
- You may substitute the ham for bacon or parma ham, equally delicious!
- You may embellish the recipe by adding cheese. Either place a slice of your favorite cheese over the ham, before adding the egg, or sprinkle with parmesan cheese before baking in the oven.