This delicious and Easy Gingerbread Recipe came from my mom’s personal cooking book.
As a mother of four (being three of them boys) my mom had no time to slave over the stove. So all the recipes she cherished were the ones that combined great taste with the least amout of work possible.
I hope you enjoy it as much as we did growing up. This recipe take me back to wonderful memories!
- 3 Tbsp grated fresh ginger or 1 tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup (100g) sugar
- ½ cup (120ml) vegetable oil
- 1 cup (240ml) light molasses
- 1 cup (240ml) boiling water
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2½ cups (310g) all purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten well
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (175 C);
- Combine well the ginger, cloves, cinnamon, salt and sugar in a medium bowl;
- While stirring, add the oil and then the molasses. Continue stirring until well blended;
- In a separate cup, combine the boiling water and the baking soda. Immediately stir into the mixture in the bowl;
- Gradually add the flour, stirring constantly to avoid lumps;
- Lastly add the eggs well beaten;
- Pour into a buttered and flour-dusted 9 inch square baking pan;
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean and the cake is pulling away from sides;
- Place on a rack to cool before taking from baking pan.
- If you can’t find molasses, you may substitute 3/4 cup light or dark brown sugar dissolved in 1/4 cup hot water (or liquid in recipe) for 1 cup molasses.
- You may cut the cake in squares and cover it in melted chocolate. Great for Valentine’s Day!
- Serve warm or cold with whipped cream.