This Chicken Parmesan Recipe is a great way to revamp a chicken recipe that is already delicious.
Parmesan or parmigiana, is the southern Italian way (both Sicily and Campania want the title of coming up with the idea) of preparing a shallow fried ingredient (breaded chicken, meat, veal or e ggplant) layered with tomato sauce and cheese.
Contrary to the original recipe where the filling is deep fried, here it’s all done in the oven, therefore way healthier.
When your Chicken Parmesan comes out of the oven bubbly hot and golden brown, I’m sure no one will resist. Serve it with a side salad, potatoes, vegetables or rice. Any leftover makes a great sandwich!
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion
- 1 minced clove of garlic
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 recipe of prepared Oven Fried Chicken
- 8 oz good quality mozzarella cheese, sliced
- In a sauce pan over medium heat, prepare the sauce by sautéing the onion and garlic in the olive oil;
- When onion is transparent, add the tomatoes, oregano, bay leaf, and season with salt and pepper. Lower the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes to enhance the flavors;
- Cover a baking dish with a generous amount of the sauce and place the prepared OVEN FRIED CHICKEN over the sauce;
- Spoon the remaining sauce over the chicken and place the slices of mozzarella on top of the chicken;
- Bake in preheated 375 degree oven until cheese is melted, golden and the sauce bubbly (the chicken is already cooked), about 10 minutes.
- Serve with a side of spaghetti, rice or potatoes, green salad or steamed broccoli.