This Best Baked Macaroni Cheese Recipe has always been my girls favorite dish. To a point that my husband Luca was afraid they would never learn how to eat anything else.
Because of their love for Mac & Cheese, I decided that the box kind, with fake cheese, was not the best option. This homemade macaroni and cheese recipe is very easy to make. Almost as quick as the boxed version.
I bake it to make it more bubbly, therefore more delicious. If you like it crispy, bake uncovered. If you prefer it softer and more moist, bake covered with aluminum foil. Remove foil halfway through baking time.
- 1 lb uncooked pasta (elbow macaroni is more traditional, but at our home we prefer penne pasta)
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 3 tsp dried minced onion
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1 Tbsp yellow mustard
- ½ tsp worcestershire sauce
- 3 cups low fat milk
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 3 or 4 cups shredded sharp cheddar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare a casserole dish or a 9x13 baking dish by spraying with non stick spray. Set aside;
- Cook pasta according to package instructions, until "al dente" (tender but still with a bite to it). Drain, return to pan and stir in the sour cream. Cover to keep pasta warm;
- In a sauce pan over medium low heat, melt the butter, add the onions, flour, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and whisk well;
- Remove from heat and add milk whisking constantly so it won't lump;
- Return to heat and bring to boiling point, stirring constantly. Add cheese and continue cooking and stirring until cheese is completely melted;
- Stir the cooked pasta with the cheese sauce and pour on the prepared baking dish;
- Cook until bubbly, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- For a crunchier crust, you may sprinkle the pasta with a mixture of parmesan cheese and bread crumbs before it goes in the oven
- There’s always room for variations, like adding mushrooms or shredded cooked chicken to the sauce
- Use you imagination and use leftovers on your fridge. You can make this recipe more nutritious and avoid waste at the same time!