This Banana Cream Pie recipe is a wonderful way to eat “possibly the world’s most perfect food”. Just so you know, one banana contains 11% of the RDA of dietary fiber, 34% of the RDA of vitamin B6 (anti-inflammatory agent), keeps blood sugar and pressure low, prevents loss of calcium and avoids muscle cramps.
There are so many health benefits for banana, that this is a fruit that we always have plenty here at home. But sometimes I guess I overdo it, and we finish with more bananas than we can consume. And here is where all my delicious and easy recipes with banana come in handy.
One of the family’s favorite is this easy Banana Cream Pie recipe. You can prepare way in advance and they freeze well. But if you’re freezing, I strongly recommend you do it without the topping. After you thaw, add the meringue topping and bake until you get that beautiful golden peaks, or use whipped cream as topping instead.
Before you freeze, pie should be completely cool or water will condense and give you a soggy result when thawed!
- 1½ cups finely ground graham cracker crumbs
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- ½ cup melted butter
- 3 eggs (separated)
- 2½ cups whole milk
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp soften butter
- 1 cup sliced bananas
- 3 egg whites
- 6 Tbsp caster sugar
- Combine the crackers, sugar and butter, blend well;
- Press mixture into a 9 inch pie dish and bake for 9 minutes in a 375 degree oven. Set aside to cool a bit;
- In a saucepan, mix together 3 egg yolks and the milk;
- In a bowl, combine the cornstarch with the sugar and the salt;
- Over medium heat, start adding the dry mixture into the egg-milk mixture in the saucepan, whisking well to avoid lumps;
- Continue to stir until it comes to a boil and begins to thicken;
- Remove saucepan from heat, add the butter and the vanilla. Set aside;
- Prepare the meringue in a separate bowl by beating the egg whites with a pinch of salt until it becomes foamy. While constantly beating, start adding the sugar. Beat until it holds stiff peaks;
- Place the pie dish on a baking tray. Stir the bananas into the cream and pour mixture into the pie crust. Cover everything with the meringue, making even peaks;
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 10 minutes or until the meringue peaks become light brown. Refrigerate after it's cool. Serve chilled